FUDforum
My FUDforum

Home »  » FreeWire » Update the FreeWire Firmware
Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #100] Tue, 27 May 2014 15:28 Go to next message
Mac is currently offline  Mac
Power User

Mac Harned, CNE, MCP, KCE | Technical Support
www.comtrol.com
http://forum.comtrol.com

Comtrol Corporation
100 Fifth Ave NW
Minneapolis, MN. 55112
Direct 763.957.6000 | Fax 763.957.6001
connect. communicate. control
Re: Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #1045 is a reply to message #100] Mon, 10 September 2018 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benjamin.benusa is currently offline  benjamin.benusa
Is this the current version of the firmware? I tried using the above link and looks like the website is no longer valid. Please let me know how to install new version of firmware on freewire device. I have recently had issues with trying to connect this to my wireless network (recently went through a network refresh with new access points and Re-IP of all devices on the network. Also, we were using this with WEP encryption before and now we only have WPA/2 encryption on the new access points. I can see the device on network when plugged hard wired but after I configure wireless, the device disappears although both lights (yellow/green) are flashing together. Even tried with with the serial device connected and it still wouldn't show on network (or device manager).

Thought updating the firmware would be a good place to start. Current version i have is 1.46.
Re: Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #1046 is a reply to message #1045] Mon, 10 September 2018 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt is currently offline  Kurt
Power User
Hi,

The latest firmware is 1.64 located here:
http://downloads.comtrol.com/html/freewire_files.htm

Some really helpful files for free wire are here:
http://downloads.comtrol.com/contribs/devicemaster/help_file s/freewire/

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt Rees
www.comtrol.com
http://forum.comtrol.com/

Comtrol Corporation
100 Fifth Ave NW
Minneapolis, MN. 55112
Direct +1 763.957.6000 | +1 Fax (763) 957-6001
Re: Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #1047 is a reply to message #100] Mon, 10 September 2018 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do I need to select a com port if I am using it for raw data (printer port 9100)?
Re: Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #1048 is a reply to message #1047] Mon, 10 September 2018 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power User
Hi Benjamin,

Usually you do. Secure Port Redirector will provide the Com Port to be used and will transfer the data to the freeport via tcp sockets to the freewire's socket of 9200.

In your case, your application is sending raw data to port 9100 and can't go through a com port?

How did you do this before prior to your upgrade?

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt Rees
www.comtrol.com

Comtrol Corporation
100 Fifth Ave NW
Minneapolis, MN. 55112
Re: Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #1049 is a reply to message #100] Mon, 10 September 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good Question...I was not the one who originally set up the configuration (of course, it wasn't documented very well either). All I know is that we were using WEP and that I just had to go into my label program and select the printer based on a TCP/IP (network printer), select the printer model, input the correct address (assume this is the same as IP for the freewire device), and then make sure the printer port was set to 9100. Then the labels would be sent to the printer and printing would occur as normal after a few seconds of data transmission.

Do i need to enable "Ecable mode" in order to get this to work?

Right now, it looks like it is set on com port 1 which says "in use" and set to Telnet.
Re: Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #1050 is a reply to message #1049] Mon, 10 September 2018 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power User
Hi Benjamin,

One thing to try is to use Secure Port Redirector which will set up a com port to use.
Then point your label program to use that com port. The other side of the SPR application would then connect to the Freewire on port 9200
On the freewire firmware page under I/O port settings, set the serial baud rate, stop bits, etc to what they need to be.
Enable Ecable Mode and set the radio button to TCP. Put in the IP of the printer for Destination Host and port 9100 for the printer port.

Kurt

Kurt Rees
www.comtrol.com

Comtrol Corporation
100 Fifth Ave NW
Minneapolis, MN. 55112
Re: Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #1051 is a reply to message #100] Mon, 10 September 2018 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Assuming I set up the wireless settings correctly, I should be able to unplug the network cable and still be able to ping the device without having it connected to the serial printer, correct?

I don't think I'm even getting to the step where I know it is even connecting to our wireless network. I guess my next step might be to have someone from our wireless team at corporate see if they can see the mac address of the freewire device when on wireless. If not, I don't know what my issue is because I have double and triple checked the information i have for IP, subnet, and gateway addresses.

Any other suggestions you can think of that I may be missing or if I am even able to communicate with the freewire if not connected to another serial device?
Re: Update the FreeWire Firmware [message #1052 is a reply to message #1051] Mon, 10 September 2018 13:39 Go to previous message
Power User
Hi Benjamin,

You should be able to ping and access the Freewire web page even if the cable is not connected if it is setup correctly.
The Freewire Manager application should be able to scan and detect the Freewire device and let you know it's IP Address if you are on the same network.

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt Rees
www.comtrol.com

Comtrol Corporation
100 Fifth Ave NW
Minneapolis, MN. 55112
Previous Topic: Firmware 1/2 loaded help
Next Topic: How to set FreeWire to eliminate buffering (Low Latency)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 07 21:18:58 CDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00917 seconds