FUDforum
My FUDforum

Home »  » DeviceMaster » ttySIxx update & conflict
ttySIxx update & conflict [message #954] Mon, 30 April 2018 08:22 Go to next message
alm38 is currently offline  alm38
Hello,

I'm doing tests for the deployment of Device Master RTS 16/32.
We work with OS debian (9 stretch), I use driver v7.27 (server side) and for DM (bootloader 4.28 / SockerServer 11.23).
I have some questions:

- If we change access right on a serial port /dev/ttySI20 form native [crw-rw----] to [crwxrwxrwx], when we restart driver, the access right is reset. Is there a issue to change the access right finally ? or we must make script to change at each drivers restart ?

- When I connect multiple Device Master on a linux server, The ttySIxx are created. In my test, if I changed the number of ports available on the device master, or set the type to "off" in nslinktool, the number of ttySIxx seems not change when the driver is disable/enable or restarted, and also when I remove all the device master on the nslink.conf. I there a procedure to clean ttySIxx to just have the available one and be sure to map application to the correct ttySIxx port from port or drivers status informations ?

- I can connect a device master on two server linux which each show a good connection to their Device Master. If I change RS-type or port configuration (for the same real port number) on the different drivers configuration (nslink.conf) or directly on equipment by the web interface of the device master, none of the servers show anomaly. In this case who wins in this configuration process ? The first connected ? the local config (by the web) ? or no one ?

Thank you for your answer (and sorry for my English mistakes)
Arnaud
Re: ttySIxx update & conflict [message #955 is a reply to message #954] Mon, 30 April 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt is currently offline  Kurt
Power User
Hi Arnaud,

Your question:

Quote:
- If we change access right on a serial port /dev/ttySI20 form native [crw-rw----] to [crwxrwxrwx], when we restart driver, the access right is reset. Is there a issue to change the access right finally ? or we must make script to change at each drivers restart ?

Are you making the changes as Super User or Root?

Quote:
- When I connect multiple Device Master on a linux server, The ttySIxx are created. In my test, if I changed the number of ports available on the device master, or set the type to "off" in nslinktool, the number of ttySIxx seems not change when the driver is disable/enable or restarted, and also when I remove all the device master on the nslink.conf. I there a procedure to clean ttySIxx to just have the available one and be sure to map application to the correct ttySIxx port from port or drivers status informations ?

I'm not sure if I understand the question, but all the information the driver uses is obtained from the nslink.conf file. When the driver starts, it refers to the file. If you make changes, you'll need to stop / restart the driver. Are you making changes as Super User / Root?

Quote:
- I can connect a device master on two server linux which each show a good connection to their Device Master. If I change RS-type or port configuration (for the same real port number) on the different drivers configuration (nslink.conf) or directly on equipment by the web interface of the device master, none of the servers show anomaly. In this case who wins in this configuration process ? The first connected ? the local config (by the web) ? or no one ?

When the driver is started, the /dev/ttySI* files are created. Usually, they don't change and I'm not sure if there is a way to manually change the relationship between manual port number and device file. Is that what you are attempting to do? Can you be more specific on what you wish to do and what it is you are seeing? Sorry about not fully understanding the question.

Kurt

Kurt Rees
www.comtrol.com
http://forum.comtrol.com/

Comtrol Corporation
100 Fifth Ave NW
Minneapolis, MN. 55112
Direct +1 763.957.6000 | +1 Fax (763) 957-6001
connect. communicate. control
Re: ttySIxx update & conflict [message #956 is a reply to message #954] Mon, 30 April 2018 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alm38 is currently offline  alm38
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your quick reply.

All the tasks I did were as root. I joined 2 text files with the terminal return of my consol command and comments of my tests.

For my third question, I have 2 virtual machines under Debian 9 with installed nslink drivers.
I can connect a RTS 32 device master to both servers in their nslink.conf files.
In this situation, I can configure the port number 1 of my v in RS-232 on my first server, in RS-422 in the second server and I can also directly, on the web interface of my device master, configure this of port number 1 in RS-485. I can also have different baude rates or another configuration for the same port in my device master.

In this situation, when we start the server drivers, there are no errors. And the configuration of the ports does not change in the web interface following the connection of the drivers on the debian servers.
I wonder then which final configuration takes the port(s) ?

Best regards,
Arnaud
  • Attachment: Q2.log
    (Size: 26.53KB, Downloaded 19 times)
  • Attachment: Q1.log
    (Size: 6.11KB, Downloaded 17 times)
Re: ttySIxx update & conflict [message #957 is a reply to message #956] Mon, 30 April 2018 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt is currently offline  Kurt
Power User
Hi Arnaud,

Since you are using a driver to send data to the DeviceMaster, the web page configuration should be not applicable.
The web page configuration is used for connecting to the DeviceMaster via Socket Communications (IP Address and port 8xxx) and
direct serial input from a device (serial cable to serial port).

The nslink.conf file is what the driver uses, it should ignore the web page configuration.

I hope that answers your question, let me know if there is anything else that needs clarification.

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt Rees
www.comtrol.com
http://forum.comtrol.com/

Comtrol Corporation
100 Fifth Ave NW
Minneapolis, MN. 55112
Direct +1 763.957.6000 | +1 Fax (763) 957-6001
connect. communicate. control
Re: ttySIxx update & conflict [message #972 is a reply to message #954] Thu, 10 May 2018 22:36 Go to previous message
severach is currently offline  severach
@alm38: Add your users to the uucp or equivalent group so they can access the ports with the default chmod 660. There is no value in adding the 'x' bit.
Previous Topic: Linux NS-Link: Closing the tty may hang for up to 60 seconds.
Next Topic: nslink fails when autoassigned a large major>=256
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Mar 28 18:32:57 CDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00744 seconds